Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Most Enjoyable Way To Engage In American Politics

I was in Colorado Springs for a work meeting in early August - and as I took a taxi from the airport to my hotel, I made dialogue with the cabbie, like I do.

I'd been before, but this time I got to stay for longer, like a whole night! I asked the cab driver what the weather had been like, what was walking distance from my hotel, where he was from, how long he'd been driving a cab, where he got his shirt (what it was a nice shirt), and the who's who and the what what of the Springs. It was days before the Olympics so the competing Olympians had left the training center, leaving just kids who'd come there for camps - and a senior golf tour outside the city. Aside from a Chipotle within walking distance, a whole lot of altitude and clean air, and an asphalt convention at the Hilton, there wasn't a lot rocking a town more known for it's winter months. "Besides the convention, it will be a slow summer here."

The asphalt convention, I presumed.

I continued to engage my cab driver (it was a long drive and I was paying him - he had to talk to me). From what I gathered there were 2 years he wasn't living in Colorado and to which he couldn't explain. Jail I thought securely - but I didn't press it. He was nice enough and was driving me to where I needed to go so I made due pleasantries.

As we drove and spoke, I had to ask, how big was this convention? Were there that many people in the business of asphalt and concrete? Over cocktails at the pool just weeks ago my friends and I discussed just how many conventions there are. There's a convention for everything. Just this morning I heard an advertisement for the North American Reptile Breeders convention. I can't keep all these conventions straight. But I just didn't think based upon the number of people he said were coming in to town, we were talking about an assembly of asphalt men.

What convention is this in late August?

Um, the Democratic National Convention.

Right. That little one. That would bring in a fair share of who's who and what's what.

Unlike the asphalt convention at my hotel, the Democratic National Convention is televised live. Unfortunately at the gym, it's live with no sound. So last night I worked out and watched, watched and worked out, breathed and drank water, and just imagined who people were and what they could be saying.

I discovered by end of highly productive workout this really could be the most enjoyable way to engage in American politics.

I gathered notes after watching night one of the Democratic National convention on mute. Obama may get my vote based solely on his wife's incredible taste in the color blue and a stunning broach. I was mildly confused why the guest of honor was there via video. I came to find out that this was night one of three, which made a lot more sense than my make believe reasons. NBC has really nailed the close-ups of minorities and women about to cry. People wear really weird hats. And political speakers make as much sense on mute as they do when you read the the actual transcripts the next day.

Also, I now want to appear by video screen at all my social engagements if that's at all possible.

On to night two.

No comments: