Monday, February 4, 2008

...and I think that's super.

Approaching this weekend I had sought out a full weather report to plan my activities appropriately.
“Saturday: 70 and clear. Sunny and only partial clouds in late afternoon.”
Sounds glorious I thought.
And Sunday?
“Sunday: Heavy rain and long periods of high wind. Thunder and lightening highly likely. Flash flood warning.”
And Sunday night? Monday?
Nothing.
Wait, what happens after Sunday? Surely there will be a Monday. I’ve grown accustomed to many Sundays that turn in to Mondays. Some say like clockwork. But with weather like that described on weather.com and no Monday to turn to, could this be it?

I decided to sit this Super Bowl out. I was just generally annoyed by it, and I’m not even sure if I can tell you rationally why that is. If anyone asked it was because the Dodgers didn’t make it this year. But that wasn’t quite it. It was something else which I couldn’t really put my finger on. Either way, I’d just skip it this year. I did catch up with my television sometime later that evening for the Puppy Bowl, followed by the Kitty Bowl – Animal Planet exclusive programming. I’m not sure myself who comes up with this stuff, but its genius really. The Puppy Bowl, much like the Kitty Bowl, consists of puppies being introduced by their name and breed by announcers and running out on a field like stage to play with chew toys and each other. That’s it. There are no other rules. No Jordin Sparks singing the National Anthem, no fancy Bud Light commercials. They didn’t get buckets of Gatorade or ice dumped on them when it was over. The puppy bowl resembles little of its Fox processor and with the one key distinction – everyone’s a winner.

And I think that’s Super.

There was a Monday. For here I am. And you, there you are. Seems the weather.com report was more digital error than an indication of Armageddon. Some would suggest the Giants upset was such an end of world phenomenon. But this isn’t another obnoxious super bowl blog/story/report. Remember I sat it out.

What is super about it?

The official start of baseball. Let me be the first to welcome you. It’s always nice to see you.

No comments: