Saturday, December 1, 2007

Spreading holiday cheer

A day of Saturday errands found me at Target. I started in sportswear, perused lamps,choose new bedding, picked up a new lint brush and rounded Christmas decorations to do a once over of food items. Down dairy and frozen food, up cereals and snack bars, down sodas and juices. At crystal light I took pause. As I scanned various powder mix-ins, something caught my eye. Myself. Somewhere between the morning when I dressed myself, and the food aisle at Target hours later, the top to my strapless dress had fallen below my chest, leaving me exposed. I looked down the aisle at an approaching family, hoping they would give me some sort of nod that four hours of Saturday errands hadn't been done topless. Maybe some explanation why I wouldn't have noticed this - why I wouldn't have felt something. But that family, complete with baby in cart, could provide nothing of the sort. I understand doing errands topless isn't traditional cheer, but hopefully somewhere along the way, someone felt a little bit of holiday cheer.