Friday, October 12, 2007

Stop Signs As Suggestions.

I am in agreement with almost all laws. Taking the liberty while in law school to study them all, I am in full accordance with most of them. There are a handful, no wait, two hands, that I find unnecessary. The ones with which I differ: those that tell me what to do. Wait, two hands and possibly a foot.

I cannot find a good explanation how seat belts should be mandated by law. The suggestion is notated and appreciated, but as law unnecessary. Just as stop signs are not fully needed. They put one at the corner of my street several weeks ago and you can just imagine the confusion as I sat there wondering where this had come from. Had it been left by transients - dropped from the sky. I pondered whether I was legally obligated to stop. Who had vested this authority. I demanded answers. As I drove around the rest of that day and in the days that followed I thought about the other stop signs in my neighborhood and throughout my city. There certainly seemed to be a lot of them. There were a lot of them when I was in a damn rush to get somewhere. Who had put in this stop sign and what sort of authority did they have to tell me when to start and when to go. I hated the power that sign had. I hated the power the speed limit sign had. I hated thepower the carpool lane sign had. My life seemed to be determined by posted signs in the street. I would take them as suggestions. "Perhaps you want to stop here." "Perhaps if nothing slow down at this sign." "Think about maybe getting a friend to ride along with you next time you're in the carpool lane." When I saw traffic signs as soft suggestions, instead of hard rules, I no longer had the same resentment. I thought about sharing this philosophy with the officer who pulled me over for driving solo in the hov lane. But he seemed like he was having a rough day, and wasn't in any shape for my tips for living. Also, that ticket was real expensive. So I'm not sure I can afford to see stop signs as suggestions anymore. It was fun, however, while it lasted.

Like my own little Rosa Parks sort of movement.