Thursday, May 13, 2010

Perfectly Normal

Despite my parents original prenatal great expectations of me, I turned out very average. Even among the things I'd note I'm good at, in a global sense, I'm still just average at those things. We've all got a purpose and I'll live the rest of the time I've got sorting that out. But great - great is for the bees, bees and Dickens novels.

I think there's some sort of genetic predisposition of parents that their kids must be the best. And that's rather unfortunate. Unfortunate only because my mom just looked so miserable at that soccer field watching me averagely play soccer. And it had to have been such a disappointment to her when I proclaimed there was just too much running involved.

I think when I'm a parent, I'll be better at just managing my expectations. And wish my kid was fun and spirited and well adjusted, over being supremely awesome at any one thing.

Even being drafted to a major league baseball team probably carries the argument of some sort of greatness, most live in a AA team in the outskirts of major cities, and never smell the beer and dogs of a major league summer. So when Dallas Braden, as you may now know him from his Sports Illustrated cover, and late night talk show circuit, was drafted 24th in 2004 by the A's, great wasn't a word we'd associate with him or his career, or his mark on baseball.

And when we saw him lash out at Alex Rodriguez weeks ago for running across a mount, human, more than great, was how we'd describe him.

So as of Sunday, if anyone knew Dallas Braden, a very human, very average pitcher he was. But then maybe that's why we enjoy sports. Because one day you wake up average, and one night you go to sleep part of baseball history.

Dallas Braden pitched just the 19th perfect game in the history of the game, and American League or National League, north west south or east, whatever divides you, an impressive accomplishment like that has no choice but to get a big nod of awesomeness.

My favorite thing about this story is while he's something of legend in the sport, he's something of perfection, normal he'll probably remain,

"My ugly mug slapped on a magazine on newsstands all across America is scary for some readers," Braden said, "but it's pretty cool for me."

While the closest I will get to a pitchers mound is good seats, and I'll still always insist there's just too much running in soccer, perhaps my parents still have a chance to see me be great at something.

No comments: