Monday, August 11, 2008

Hi, my name is Rebecca, and I'm addicted to Olympics.

Hi Rebecca.

What would have been a relatively pleasant weekend with cool temps at the beaches and the California sunshine looked a lot more like me attached to my TV and NBC's coverage of the Olympics. I somehow fooled my body to think I was there, my sleep pattern was jilted, and I added 15 hours when I looked at the clock. I think I really wanted to be there. But I wasn't. I was at home. Neglecting a perfect summer weekend, to watch men's rowing, among others.

I like Olympics, but even I, can recognize there's a problem. Not just in the 24 hour coverage I've adapted in to my schedule, no something deeper even. In some unhealthy way I'm convinced I can do it. That it isn't that hard. If I'd just tried I could have made the team. Name a sport. Syncronized diving. Easy. Uneven bars. Yeah I could do that. Men's swimming? If I just asserted myself, I could be that fast. It's like all this potential is just locked up, being kept at bay by something much more powerful than athletic ability and the Olympic dream. Laziness.

I'm thinking about training for 2012. It's just picking what to train for that's the major hold up. I picked my Halloween costume this year (bumblebee) and once those big decisions are out of the way the rest just falls in to place. I'm thinking the same will go for training for the Olympics.
----
I went to the mall over the weekend. (The games were being tivo'd not to worry). But I did spy the Ralph Lauren outfits USA wore to opening cermony. The shirts, pants, hats. I thought about buying them and seeing if anyone at work would notice. My mall visit, in typical fashion, leads me through the mall, to the Hello Kitty store and back across to grab a sample from the tea store.

I would say among my traits exists this essential one: if given the opportunity, I'd squander every penny I have on door to door salesman and mall kiosks. Somewhere between the Hello Kitty store and the tea sample I saw the kiosks, but determined to keep my eye on the free tea prize, I looked forward only. It was shiny lotion that caught my eye, and an employee of cute accent decsent and I was $30 in the hole on nail products from the Dead Sea.

I would say among the marital challenges I face someday as a married person, that is if I could ever get beyond a first date, it would be to keep me from mall kiosks and door to door salesmen. But I would guess there's a lot of 24 hour a day Olympic coverage between now and the day that becomes relevant. In the meantime this blog has cost me 13 minutes of watching women's rowing. I hope you're happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like bumble bees, you'll be super cute! And there's a man out there who knows a mall kiosk and door-to-door sales loving wife will take excellent care of him.