Sunday, January 13, 2008

Door to Door Cleaning Supply Salesmen

Everyone knows I have but three weaknesses - Britney Spears, Major League baseball, and cleaning. I enjoy cleaning. There I said. It's borderline problematic, the excessiveness to which I clean, but I try to keep myself in line, balanced.

Saturday afternoon, as I prepared for my hostess role, I was vaccuuming, taking out the trash, prepping appetizers and such, I heard someone at my front door. Unable to understand him when I asked for identifcation, and thinking it was just my family arriving early, I opened the door. The stranger at the door, holding a purple and sudsy clear bottle, identified himself as Charles. And without any further prompting, continued on with his speech. Selling cleaning supplies door to door, in town from Cincinatti, for only $43 I too can own this here bottle. Even given my weakness, I was inclined to say no, but then there was talk about a daughter back home he was trying to support, a college education he was trying to pay for, and everytime I clean I can brighten a childs life. I don't really remember a lot that happened after that, but I think I gave him a check and took my $43 bottle of cleaning solution.

I have before said I am but one knock of the door away from being a Jehovah's Witness. I can be convinced of anything. But perhaps with my weakness for cleaning, I should not open the door for door to door cleaning supply salesmen either.

1 comment:

The Alleged Ringleader said...

I'm a sucker too!
One time I fell for some young girl selling magazine subscriptions. She came into my apt bummed a cigarette and talked me into the most expensive subscription on the list which was Cosmo. I wrote her a check just to get her out of my apt - then I stopped payment on it a few days later after I realized she got me to let her in my apt, to buy magazines and a cigarette.
I'm ghetto lol